Maryland Murder Defense Attorneys
Protecting those accused of murder throughout Maryland
Felonies are serious crimes in Maryland—especially charges involving murder. With over a decade of experience defending those accused of serious crimes, Discepolo LLP is a criminal law defense firm based in Baltimore with the legal skill and investigative resources to protect your rights—and maybe your life.
Intentional murder is unlawful and conviction in the state of Maryland can draw the death penalty. Understanding murder charges filed against you is the first step in understanding the necessity for building an aggressive, detailed defense on your behalf.
Murder defense lawyers in Baltimore
The importance of involving competent, qualified criminal defense lawyers at the outset of a murder charge cannot be overstated. Involvement by our attorneys from arrest forward can make the difference in some cases between life and death. In Maryland, if accused of murder, you may be charged with one of the following types of crimes:
- First-degree murder. If suspected of planning and carrying out the unlawful killing of another, you face charges of murder in the first-degree. Maryland is a death penalty state and the consequences of conviction on this charge include death or life in prison.
- Second-degree murder. A slightly lesser charge, second-degree murder charges can be leveled after a killing that may lack the deadly and purposeful intent of first-degree murder. The difference is often one of intent. Conviction on second-degree murder can mean life in prison.
- Felony murder. Also punishable by life in prison, felony murder is the taking of a life while committing another crime like arson, rape, assault, or other violent crime.
- Manslaughter. Individuals charged with manslaughter are accused of unintentionally causing the death of another through gross negligence or irresponsible behavior. Less serious than other charges, conviction can still mean up to 25 years in prison.
Building a murder defense in Maryland
The outcome of arrest for murder is ultimately found in the facts of the case. Building a strong, effective murder defense depends upon skilled investigation, use of appropriate expert witnesses, forensic evidence, strong courtroom skills, and the type of strategic case construction our lawyers are known for.
There is a heavy burden of prosecutorial proof for death penalty cases in Maryland. While your actual defense depends on the facts of the case, types of murder defense include:
- Mistaken identity
- Provable innocence
- Battered woman
- Self-defense or defense of others
The first death row inmate exonerated by DNA genetic testing in the United States was Kirk Bloodsworth, a Maryland man who spent nine years in prison for a crime he did not commit. Tenacious criminal defense begins at the moment of arrest and may not end until appeal or the best outcome possible.
If arrested on a felony charge in Maryland, contact our highly qualified murder defense lawyers. While working to counter or reduce charges against you, we provide support to you and your family. We are dedicated to protecting your rights, your liberty—and your life.
The choice of a criminal defense attorney is yours in Maryland—make it count
Any criminal defense lawyer can take your case. When accused of murder, or other felony in Baltimore or Howard counties, do not settle for just any lawyer. Contact the attorneys at Discepolo LLP 24 hours a day to see how we can help. We offer a free initial consultation.
Located in the Inner Harbor, our firm is easily accessible and offers on-site, validated parking.